Pocket aces refer to a pair of aces that is concealed. In actual fact, it is the best hand from 169 possible hands in a game of Texas Hold’em. Unfortunately, it is where many players make their first blunder. Although it is very effective, you might not be able to make the best of the perfect scenario if you don’t play it properly. As a matter of fact, if you don’t play them with a bit of caution, you may end up losing the big pot. You don’t have to fret though; this blog article has been designed to guide you into how to play pocket aces and make profits while you are at it.
Strategy One: Always explore the opportunity to bet or raise when you have Pocket Aces
It is crucial to understand that pocket aces are not the kind of hand that you should play against many opponents. The perfect scenario is to get heads-up on the flop. This means that dragging in at the early stage of the game is a very dangerous strategy to employ. In fact, you should avoid it as much as possible. Really, if you limp, you may have to face many opponents at the flop. At this point, you would need to be absolutely prepared to fold the hand to any remarkable quantity of action except you are able to hit your set.
It is important that you always look out to raise with pocket aces instead of trying to be tough or ‘limping in’. Of course, the last thing you want is to have to face many opponents at the flop. Another scenario that limping in can cause is to be raised by an opponent at the table. When you face this situation, you might want to re-raise and what this does is to set off the alarm bells in the mind of your opponents at the table. The question they would naturally ask is – what sort of hand do you have if you limp a moment and then go ahead to re-raise your raiser?
Generally, nine out of ten times when someone makes this kind of move, they have a sinister starting hand. Consequently, you should not raise when you have pocket aces. Raising will be like leaking out your own secret. It informs the opponents that you possess a big hand, just that it doesn’t reveal how big. It also assists in defining the hands of your opponents if they decide to call.
Strategy of Post Flop Pocket Aces
When you are on the flop, you would want to bet and raise again. After all, it is the only way you can get some more money into the coveted pot. Now, if you go heads-up against an opponent, you should check and provoke a bluff, especially if he is one of the aggressive kind of players you find at tables regularly.
Usually, you want to maintain the raising and betting flow in order to build the pot with pocket aces as much as you can. Now, it is not recommended that you continue to slow-play this kind of hand. In the real sense of the word, you will make more money when you bet instead of raising. Additionally, you should not slow-play when the board is well synchronized, and the opponent is drawing to a flush or a straight. Instead, you should make him pay and offer him the wrong odds pot to draw into.
It is important to mention that when you are playing online, you should give some time allowance between when you bet into pot on the flop. Usually, when people raise preflop and immediately go ahead to bet a large amount in the pot when it is their opportunity to act, it is a huge revelation that they possess over-pair hands. Therefore, take time and don’t act immediately.
Important Tips in playing Pocket Aces in Texas Hold’em
- Always maintain a poker face when you have read your cards. Don’t give any facial expression so no one would guess you have pocket aces.
- If you are small or big blind, you might decide to call if another player raised before you. However, if you are the first player to bet, simply call the big blind or raise by a small portion. Note, you shouldn’t bet like 5-x the blind or move all-in. You should put in raises, as many as possible. It is important that you don’t ever re-raise a pre-flop.
- If a player goes all-in preflop, call them. Allow some players to get out of the game and win the money back with time.
- You should read the flop and play the style that looks more like a flop. For instance, if you have high cards (K-10-J), then raise to around 10 or place a bet of the same value up to 30. You need to be careful of all-in because it is likely you have a straight. Also, if you have the triple A-6-10, then place a small raise on almost anything. If it’s quick straight (5-7-6), you should be careful but you can call. If you have nothing (4-8-2), you should place small raise on just anything. Now, if you have the dangerous K-K-Q, call and then fold later on to raise.
- If there is no obvious danger, you might go ahead to raise on the flop. However, if the river indicates that there are four cards in a row, you have to be careful of small raise. In this case, play similarly as you would suited card and play small raise.
- Read the river and if it doesn’t give you three aces, be careful of large raise. If you feel you are good, you can raise the raise, and if your opponent raises, just call.
- Finally, show your cards in a mysterious way. If you have won the hand, enjoy a small pleasure before you reveal your card. Well, don’t go overboard and gloat because the tide can turn. However, if you lose, still maintain your composure. There is still more games in the making.
You may also like
How to choose your next online casino?
With a plethora of online casinos to choose from nowadays, bettors are spoilt for choice as to where they can play. More and more casinos are springing up on the internet, with opportunities to play anywhere, at any time, challenging the existence of traditional brick-and-mortar establishments. Most online casinos also have fully functioning apps that […]
Three popular variations of poker that you need to know about
Whether you are new to the world of poker or you are an experienced player, it is always nice to brush up on a few basic rules of the game. Did you know that this popular card game comes in countless variations? Or have you always thought of poker as a game that is played […]
Betsson Poker Welcome Offer
In the world of online gaming, competition seems to be getting fiercer every month. With new online gaming platforms coming online all the time to grab market share from existing players, everyone in the industry is looking for ways to attract new and seasoned gamers alike. In a market that is becoming increasingly saturated, online […]
Betsson Poker Loyalty Program
The online gaming industry is becoming an increasingly competitive space. As such, online gaming platforms are looking for avenues that will keep their customers interested. The fundamental principle behind this is to provide customers with superior value so that they do not feel the urge to switch platforms.
What are the Secrets Behind Canada’s Greatest Poker Player’s Successes?
Daniel Negreanu is a name that needs no introduction to the poker world. This Canadian professional poker player was born in Toronto, Ontario on 26 July 1974, and he transformed the game of poker with his incredible tactics, strategies and insights. With an estimated net worth of $50 million, he is clearly doing something right […]
Three pieces of good advice for choosing your next online casino
This content is sponsored A great way to unwind your mind after a long and hard week at work is by going online and escaping through the different worlds of online casinos. Online casinos can provide great satisfaction and entertainment, and they are therefore the perfect choice for an afternoon or night time activity. There […]
Why is poker so popular in Norway?
Poker is a relatively simple card game that most Norwegians know how to play. Poker is easy to learn, although there are a good number of rules to follow, and the game itself follows a simple logic.
Different Types Of Poker: 5 Popular Poker Variations You Need To Play
The most popular types of poker you can play explained.
Omaha Poker Odds: How to calculate different scenarios
When playing Omaha poker, your odds are significantly altered in comparison to Texas Hold’em. Learn how to utilize pot odds without being a math wizard.
Why poker is a great game to play
Poker is a world spread game which many people enjoy playing. Some prefer to play it just for fun, and others like to play the game almost as a sport where they can compete with each other.
Chinese Poker: How to Play Chinese Poker
Have you heard of Chinese Poker? Do you know how to play? Are you aware of the rules? Here we share everything you need to know about Chinese Poker and the rules.
A Guide to No Limit Texas Hold’em
Looking for a complete guide about No Limit Texas Hold’em? We'll take you through a step-by-step guide into the process of playing the game.